to our 2021
our 2021 Competition
Jackfruit Stir fry
Twenty years ago I got my first real exposure to food in the Asian fusion restaurant where I held my first kitchen job. This recipe is inspired by the smells and memories that have always stuck with me from that experience.
I wanted to create a dish that captured all of those impactful flavours and smells while incorporating a plant forward element geared toward a better tomorrow. The stir fry has all of my favourite flavour notes: sweet, spicy, sour and umami.
The jackfruit and rice noodles take on the layers of flavour from the sauce and vegetables harmoniously. The peanuts, cilantro and jalapenos give the dish a well rounded finish.
- Sam Blackburn.
Stir-fried carrots, broccoli, jackfruit, water chestnuts, yellow squash, and rice noodles with a Thai-inspired sauce and topped with peanuts, fresh cilantro, and jalapeño peppers.
Prep time 8 to 10 minuts
Cook time 8 to 10 minuts
Yield 1 serving
- 2 ounces raw rice vermicelli noodles.
- ½ teaspoon fish sauce.
- 1 Tablespoon and 1 teaspoon tamari soy sauce.
- 1½ teaspoons honey.
- 1½ teaspoons rice wine vinegar.
- ½ teaspoon fresh chili paste like sambal oelek.
- Tablespoon vegetable stock or water.
- 1½ teaspoons lime juice.
- 1½ teaspoons sesame oil.
- ¼ cup broccoli, cut into florets.
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt or to taste.
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper or to taste.
- ½ cup shredded carrots.
- ¼ cup yellow squash.
- ¾ teaspoon finely chopped fresh garlic.
- ¼ teaspoon peeled and finely chopped fresh ginger.
- ¼ cup jackfruit cut up into bite-size pieces.
- 2 Tablespoons sliced water chestnuts.
- 1 Tablespoon chopped cilantro.
- 1 Tablespoon thinly sliced green onions.
- 1½ teaspoons chopped peanuts.
- 1½ teaspoons sliced red or green jalapeño pepper.
- Cook noodles according to the manufacturer’s direction on the package. Then, rinse under cold water to stop the cooking process. Set aside for use.
- In a bowl, add the fish sauce, soy sauce, honey, rice wine vinegar, chili paste, vegetable stock, and lime juice. Whisk until combined. Set aside for use.
- Heat sesame oil over medium-high heat in a large wok or sauté pan.
- Add broccoli florets to the wok, and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add carrots, and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add squash, and sauté for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger, and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes and reduce heat to medium.
- Add jackfruit, water chestnuts, and reserved sauce to the wok. Bring to a simmer.
- Add cooked noodles, 2 teaspoons of cilantro, and 1½ teaspoons of green onions.
- Place on a serving plate and top with peanuts, jalapeños, 1½ teaspoons green onions and 1 teas poon of cilantro.
Nutricional Facts (Per server)Per Server
- Calories 440
- Calories from Fat 90
- Total Fat 10g
- Saturated Fat 1.5g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 2320mg
- Carbohydrates 84g
- Fiber 5g
- Sugar 23g
- Protein 7g